I know if I asked what kind of business someone was in, most would start telling me about the kind of services they offer or products they sell. There are two big problems with this.
1. Most people don’t care about your product or service, no matter how awesome it is. As soon as they start hearing about a service or product, they start to feel like they are being sold to and up go the walls. A much better solution is, instead of talking about the product or service, give them your Value Proposition.
2. The mindset of immediately talking about the products or services is not good. There is something that is a MUST to understand that will not only help you make more sales, but it will also help you be very clear what kind of business you are really in…
The Real Truth About What Kind Of Business You Are In
The truth is, you are not in the service business or your product business, you are in the people business. Because people are the ones that have the money to pay for the awesome value you provide, you need to make sure that you are focusing more on the people and less on your business. I know that may sound weird, but hear me out…
I do believe you need to spend time on your business, you need to make sure your products are of good quality and your services offer amazing value. All of that is important. But far too often, we as business owners get stuck there. We end up spending 80% – 90% of our time working on and in our business, while the other 10 % – 20% is spent on acquiring new business. This is a great way to kill your business. Without fresh leads, the income will stop and your business begins to fail… But at least you have an awesome product!
A Better Picture
Let’s reverse this. Let’s say you spent 80% to 90% of your time making it about people. Serving people, offering value to people, honoring people. Not selling. And the other 10%-20% of your time was devoted to working on your business and managing a team that works in your business? How different would things be for you right now?
Think about the last time when someone did something nice for you. Maybe it was a simple “thank you” card, someone paid for your coffee, or maybe took you out to dinner. Or maybe it was a quick phone call checking up on you. I’m guessing your probably felt pretty good. Even if we aren’t a “people person” we still all want to feel like we belong, like someone cares. When someone honors us, we take notice. We are much more open to letting them into our life.
When we understand that we are in the people business, our whole outlook can change and we will end up making a bigger impact in people’s lives while making more money. How awesome is that!?
Lastly, when you make people your business, what does that say about your own brand? How much more will you stand out from your competitors that are after your prospect’s attention as well?
So be real, don’t fake it. Honor others and make them your business and watch what happens. It’s all a part of Ruling Your Realm in the marketplace!