Isn’t it amazing how it only takes seconds for you to form an opinion about someone, even before they have opened their mouth! The same is just as true online. How many times have you either been completely turned off or totally intrigued by someone online by how they have expressed themselves through social media or their web site?
Because I am always stressing the fact that “Everything You Do and Don’t Do Is Forming An Opinion About You In The Minds Of Those Around You” and because this is so true, everything we do online is extremely important!
So how do you make a great first impression online?
Great question! This is why I have created a checklist for you…
– You Are Your Brand. First and for most, you have got to be clear on your brand. You should already be clear on what you stand for and how you want to express it. You should know the kind of affect you want to have on people.
– You Are Talking To Real People. This second point goes hand in hand with the first one. You MUST know who your target audience is, or your perfect client. Without knowing this, you will always be guessing and hoping that you are delivering the right message. But when you know, you can hit the target every time.
– Are You Really Wearing That?! Just like people are forming opinions about you by how you dress, how you do your hair, how you smell, etc. People are always forming very real opinions about you by how your web site or blog looks, how your social profiles look and what they say. Everything should be clearly expressing what your personal brand is about and everything should be consistent with all your online profiles. Your blog and social profiles should also express your uniqueness. No one likes going to someone’s boring, unprofessional site. People want to know why you are different than everyone else, why they should care about what you have to say.
– I Can’t Believe He Said That! Yeah, we all sometimes say something we regret. So just like in the offline word, our words matter in the online realm. This includes what we are Tweeting and posting via Social Media. This also includes our sales copy on our web sites, blog posts, and landing pages. We should be able to speak the language of our perfect clients. We should strive to make everything we post and say, be something that will make our target audience go “YES! I love it!”.
– No Fakers Allowed! No one likes fakers and imitators. This is why you must be YOU. Because you are unique, you need to allow your uniqueness be seen and heard through your brand. (And I’m not talking about the unique and flat out weird way you eat your food. Unless your perfect client likes how you eat!)
When you are clear on everything we just covered, you can walk with confidence that you will be making great first impressions online with your perfect target audience.
How About You?
How do you feel your online first impression is? Not sure, feel free to take advantage of our free social brand assessment here.
First impressions could make or break your next big deal!