There is something that disgusts me… It’s something I have always hated, even as a little guy. I HATE when someone tries to force me into a mold I wasn’t meant for! You might relate to this… Being told how to dress as a kid. I knew what I liked to wear and what I didn’t, so when my mom would try to get me to wear that weird shirt my grandparents got me for Christmas, I was not a happy camper. Same still holds true today. From time to time I attend business conferences where everyone is told how they should dress. I can immediately start to feel my blood boil… Don’t get me wrong, I do get that everything you do and don’t do, even how you dress is all expressing something. That’s called personal branding, and I get it! But, let me dress according to my brand, someone else!
Paul, what the heck are you talking about?!
Good question, it goes deeper than just my dislike of different styles of clothing. This also goes into the way you and I do business on a daily basis. Many of us don’t question why we do certain things during the day, that is just the way it’s always been done! Just like for some, wearing a suit and tie is what has always been done. But maybe you are more like me, where you begin to ask the question “Why?”…
– Why do we always hold the same boring meetings that don’t accomplish anything productive.
– Why do we keep making the same mistakes over and over again?
– Why is a suit and tie more acceptable than a nice button down shirt? Does that really have anything to do with the quality I provide?
– Why am I a slave to my inbox? Why do I jump to grab my iPhone every time it alerts me of a social media update?
– Why do I feel like I am never going anywhere in my job or business?
– Why, why, why?
Maybe you have a different why, but the same holds true… They are questions that deserve answers.
Remember the mold I mentioned that I hate? Are there things about your business where you feel you have been jammed into a mold. Basically, you don’t have any freedom and you don’t enjoy what you do anymore? In fact, maybe you don’t even know if you’re supposed to be in business anymore!
If so, there is a better way!
I think we all need to take the time to think about what is really doable in our business and why we have designed our business a certain way. Did we design is strategically or just as we went along, we added pieces?
I believe business is a system and it can be designed around your own lifestyle if you do it right. But you do need to be clear on what it is you are really going after. For example, if I want to be able to be someone that coaches people while I sit on the beach, why the heck I am designing web sites?! Or, if I am a really good people person that always finds ways of encouraging people, why I am tucked away in a cubicle, secluded from everyone? It’s a mold we have been forced into and we need to break the mold!
If you really want to enjoy what you do and make it profitable, there are three things you need.
1. Know what your passions are.
Are you passionate about helping people? Or maybe you are really passionate about design, music, technology, whatever.. you need to know.
2. You need to know what skill-sets you have. It’s important to note that just because you are talented with something, doesn’t mean you have the right skill-sets for business. The good news is, skills can be acquired and learned. So it is HUGE to invest in getting the right skills.
3. You need to discover what people are willing to pay you do. Just because you have a passion, doesn’t mean people are going to throw money at you. That is why you need the combo of all three.
When you nail down these three things you enter into your Realm of Awesome! The Realm of Awesome is where you are able to have a powerhouse brand that gives you the freedom to use your skills, natural talents, in the areas you are passionate about. And people pay you to do it!! How awesome is that?
Just imagine the difference you will feel when you break the mold off of the traditional ways of how you run your business and launch into your Realm of Awesome. How much different would your life be? How much more money would you make and free time would you have to spend with your family and friends?
Well, I have good news for you. If you want to find your Realm of Awesome, I am opening up the doors to the Realm of Awesome Brand Clarity Session. Click here if you are ready to break the mold and find your Realm of Awesome!
Let’s face it, we didn’t start out in business to be stressed to the max and unhappy. No, we had a dream of freedom. Don’t ever let the mold keep you from freedom!
If you combine those three elements, what do you see your Realm of Awesome looking like?